Some mums swear by support pillows for pregnant mums and other call it a ‘short lived luxury’ but the truth is that pregnancy complicates sleep – that giant belly and unwieldy body makes getting comfy something of a challenge.
According to the folks at Madeformums.com, research has shown that lying on your side with a pillow between your legs and under your bump can help to regulate breathing, ease heartburn and aid a good night’s sleep.
Now you could use a regular pillow to achieve the aforementioned effect or you could buy a designer one; if you think you prefer the latter option, check out these top five pregnancy pillows:
- Dreamgenii Pregnancy And Feeding Support Pillow – a popular brand that is identified by its number ‘7’ shape. The pillow aim to support your back, knees and bump without taking up all the space in bed, and can be used as a feeding support once baby is born. Mothercare sells the Dreamgenii for £47.99.
- PreciousLittleOne 12ft Body & Baby Support Pillow – this wrap around pillow offers some serious, full body support. It can be used in various positions to provide support for your bump, back and knees. PreciousLittleOne sells the support pillow for £69.95.
- Boppy Pregnancy Wedge Support Pillow – is ergonomically shaped to support your belly and back. It can be used lying down (between your knees, under your bump, behind your back) and when you’re sitting up (behind your back or wherever needs support). The great thing about this pillow is that the cost is reasonable, retailing at Boots for £19.99.
- Summer Infant Body Support Pillow – is shaped like a ‘9’; a patented shape that contours the body to support tummy, back and hips for a better sleep. This pillow can be purchased from Argos for £29.99.
- Widgey Plus Pregnancy & Sleep Pillow – Silver Star – this pillow looks like the regular, semi-circle type support pillow that pervades the market but what makes the Widgey different is that it can be moulded into different shapes: a long shape (great for pregnancy sleeping), curved (great for breastfeeding) or near-circular shape (great for baby support), depending on your needs. Tesco sells the Widgey for £49.50.