Bathtime with your babs just wouldn’t be the same without the prerequisite rubber duckie – or, as is the case in our household – menagerie of kitschy, plasticised playthings. Sadly, alongside the splashy fun comes the inevitable gross stuff metastasising inside those beloved toys — MOULD.
As a mum, it will be your lot in life to clean all manner of biohazard; and bath toys are no exception. The mold that collects in and around them is not only ick but a potential health risk, too.
So without further ado, here’s a surefire way to rid yourself of this slimy affliction – with minimal effort.
- Squeeze out any water sitting inside toy.
- Fill your bathroom sink with water, add 1 cup of vinegar, mix.
- Suck water into each rubber toy and allow to soak in basin for 30 min.
- Give a good shake after 15 minutes, then squeeze out water.
- Using a cleaning brush or cloth, wipe over toy.
- Allow to air dry.
Alternatively, dunk the toys in the dishwasher. Dishwashers run at high temperatures in order to destroy any bacteria – always check the label on each toy to make sure it is dishwasher-safe before using this method.
If you’re not as gung-ho on greener options, go for the big guns (aka bleach); but pay attention to the amount of bleach in the cleaning solution you use as it can be seriously harmful to children if ingested.
Finally, the annoying-but-true adage prevention is better than cure applies just as well to the war on mould: After every use, squeeze and rinse the bath toys. Removing any excess water from the toys on a consistent basis will cut down on the amount of bacteria. Supergluing the squirt holes will totally eradicate the problem, although you may not be so popular when the kiddos discover your handiwork…