Many mums worry about the potential for severe weight gain. We know that our expanding, water logged, body is all for the benefit of the baby.
We know that we need to eat well, for the sake of the baby as well as our own wellbeing, but we don’t want to use pregnancy as an excuse for a major food binge – it’s not healthy and the after effects are difficult to deal with.
But that does not mean that we should not be eating! The trick is to eat healthy. And if you need to snack, which you will, snack on things that are good for you and your baby.
If you have morning sickness, you’ll probably also find that eating smaller portions of food at regular intervals will help curb the nausea – even if only a little.
So, Nine healthy snacks for pregnant women…
1. Smoothies – make a yummy breakfast but also a great on-the-go snack.
3. Carrot sticks
4. Fruit – banana is a great source of energy, apples and blueberries are also good. But any fruit will keep you going.
5. Raisins or any dried fruit – apricots are delicious.
6. Dark chocolate – a cheeky cube here and there is totally okay and will satisfy your sweet tooth. The NHS recommends that you should consume no more than 200mg of caffeine in one day, so keep an eye on that.
7. Sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.
8. Cherry tomatoes or small plum tomatoes.
9. Oven baked vegetable chips – it’s best to make your own although the shop does usually sell these; the shop version will most likely contain preservatives and other chemicals.
All of the above foods are handbag friendly (just make sure your yoghurt is properly sealed, maybe even wrapped in Clingfilm) and convenience stores should sell everything mentioned if you’re in a mad rush when you leave home and need to pick up some snacks along the way.
Happy snacking ladies!
What was your favourite pregnancy snack?