If you’re parent to kids that are still below knee-height, it’ll be no big news that babies and toddlers are mind-boggling, anomalous beings.
But no matter how much you think you know about your underfoot underlings, there’s some seriously strange, lesser-known facts that attest to just how wonderfully weird these little folk are – check out the list of did-you-knows below and see if you aren’t just a bit surprised…
Did you know that…
- Children don’t grow when they get a cold?
- Babies are born with 300 bones while adults have 206. The bones fuse together during growth.
- A baby cannot taste salt until around four months old – so the sweet tooth is innate!
- Most newborns will lose all the hair they are born with in the first three or four months of life…no matter how much you may gush over their impressive post-birth locks.
- A newborn urinates about every 20 minutes. Once they hit six months this slows to about once an hour. (And when potty training is apparently ‘firmly’ established, they’ll still pee on your carpet.)
- Newborns can crawl. Babies as young as a few hours old have been documented ‘breast crawling‘ up their mother’s stomachs to reach the good stuff.
- Babies do not cry tears until about three weeks. Before then, their ‘cries’ are simply screams without tears.
- A baby’s foot by 18 months will be half the size of their adult foot.
- A child’s nose and ears never stop growing.
- The average toddler takes 176 steps a minute.
- If your baby continued his first year’s growth rate, he would be 170 feet tall by the time he becomes an adult!
- Human babies are the only primates who smile at their parents. *Melt*
- A new baby usually deprives each of its parents some 350-400 hours of sleep in the first year. Count yourself lucky if you ever catch up.
- Children laugh on average 300 times a day, adults only 60. Truth.
- Toddlers learn, on average, five new words every day.
- The most active time in anyone’s life is generally when they are the age of two, which explains why we feel so old chasing after ‘em!