It is obviously important to eat well during pregnancy – our bodies need natural, energy-boosting foods that will provide mum and baby with the necessary vitamins and minerals to ensure growth and well-being.
Fruit and vegetables are essential, as are carbs and protein-rich foods. But what can you eat when you’re feeling hungry but don’t want a whole meal – snacks that are both delicious and nutritious? Here are some pregnancy super-food snacks:
1. Sunflower Seeds –contain omega-3 and omega-06 fatty acids, as well as magnesium, vitamins A, B, D, E and K, calcium, iron, potassium and zinc.
2. Chickpeas/Humous – rich in calcium, magnesium, zinc and folic acid.
3. Broccoli – rich in calcium, magnesium and folic acid.
4. Strawberries – full of immune-boosting vitamin C, as well beta-carotene, folic acid and potassium.
5. Sweet Potato – high in calcium, vitamin C and beta-carotene.
6. Bananas – rich in potassium and help reduce fluid retention.
7. Tofu – great for vegies; high in iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin A and vitamin K.
8. Yoghurt/Milk – calcium is essential for bone development in babies.
9. Dried Apricot – high in iron and also rich in folic acid, potassium, calcium and magnesium.
10. Wholemeal Bread – iron, calcium, B vitamins and sometimes fortified with folic acid.
It’s amazing how just by eating the right food we can give our bodies all the nutrients to keep us (and our babies) healthy and well.
What was your favourite pregnancy snack?