It is recommended that we start brushing a baby’s teeth as soon as they appear twice a day. Although brushing baby’s teeth for the first time can be a little daunting to say the least.
If you are feeling a little anxious about how to brush your infant’s teeth, you may find our guide on the correct way to brush baby’s teeth helpful.
1. Always use toothpaste that is specifically for babies.
Not only will toothpaste for babies be much milder tasting than adult toothpaste, but it also contains milder ingredients that won’t harm your baby’s delicate first teeth and mouth.
2. Similar to how you should always use toothpaste formulated for babies, the toothbrush that you use to brush your little one’s teeth should also be specifically designed for babies.
Baby toothbrushes are much softer than older children and adult ones, perfect for those sensitive gums.
3. As babies tend to swallow most of the toothpaste, it is important that you only use a pea-sized amount when brushing your infant’s teeth.
Any more than this could cause your baby to retch.
4. Make sure you are relaxed when you begin to brush your little one’s teeth for the first time, as babies are experts in picking up any anxious vibes off their parents.
In order to relax ensure that you are sitting comfortably with your baby on your knee.
5. When you brush the teeth, do so in a circular motion and keep the bristles aimed downwards towards where the teeth meet the gums.
If your baby is experiencing any teething pain, brushing gently in a circular motion could help alleviate some of the pain and discomfort.